Thursday, January 7, 2010

Devotions For Parents: Blessed Distractions

dirty baby

Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!" Hallelujah to that one. What a relief. Have any of you mom's felt distracted as a parent, a mother and caregiver? I am feeling it these days, but in a good way. I know our kids are a blessing and true gift, so it helps me to stay encouraged even amidst the distracting times. Especially because God will keep in perfect peace those whose eyes are fixed on Him. Thank you Jesus. If this were not the case, I would be in trouble. It helps me to refresh instead of react when facing the many distractions of my day.

A few of my distractions from yesterday while trying to get some prayer time in: my oldest has an accident on the couch and urine is everywhere. I wasn't sure what to do so I washed the cushions on cold and with Woolite and they are fine after a long long time in tumble-air-dry, baby decides to try climbing up the stairs, putting hands in sisters potty seat which somehow was empty (praise God), baby vomits over everything in her crib after crying only five minutes before bed, my kids are climbing all over me while talking on the phone or trying to fix dinner... These are only a few examples of what my normal weekend days have looked like so far. And yes, for some reason Saturdays are always the most difficult and we get the least amount of sleep for Church the next day.

Reflection: Even still, God is good. I noticed that if I focused on the stains, smells and strains of my circumstances that I would too bring those same things to light right out of my mouth. For instance, if I chose to be extremely upset and blaming my daughter for her accident, reacting negatively and loud; she'd be sure to only want to wear diapers again and would be feeling pretty awful for her accident. Really I should have made sure to take her to the potty a few times after getting home from church especially since she was so tired. I could have made a stench in other words with my words if I chose to be venomous and angry. This would have also put a strain on my beautiful daughter's innocence and joy for their normal baby and kiddo stuff. Lord help me is a common prayer these days. And, thankfully He is faithful to answer.

I guess I just wanted to share this so we would be encouraged to stand and stand firm keeping the faith when the so called "normal" mommy-hood moments bring the distractions in full swing. When we make sure to keep our eyes focused on God He will provide the peace to withstand any situation. It is equally important to make sure to take the time to pray and praise Him; to read the Bible and seek Him too. This will allow us to rejoice in our little distractions and the blessings that our children are. After all, they will only be this age once and I have a feeling we will surely miss it when it passes us by. Let's take time to play, love and rejoice with our blessed distractions.

Prayer: God, thank you for your wonderful peace and promises. Thank you for my kids and that you alone are perfect. Please help me to stay fixed upon you and not my circumstances so I may be a blessing to you and those around me, especially my children that you have so graciously blessed me with. Be glorified in me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment